Update on Coyotes in Torrance
I attended the Coyote Workshop last Thursday evening (June 30th) and, after attending, I am not as anxious as I was previously ... still cautious, but not anxious. I am not saying that I am now so confident that I will go about as before. What I am saying is that armed with the knowledge I received at this meeting, I feel more prepared to take Jake out on walks. (I was so concerned about the Coyote sightings in my neighborhood that I had not walked Jake for weeks (Jake is 85 lbs.)
Equipped with my new knowledge, here are some suggestions moving forward:
Precautions you should take:
- If you have a dog door, keep it closed.
- Let your pets outside only when you are with them (especially at night). (Coyotes are jumping fences to get into backyards to get small dogs.)
- Stay close to your pets when outdoors and always keep them on a leash.
- Never leave food and water outside. (If you are feeding feral cats, leave food/water out for a short period of time, maybe 15 minutes, then remove. (Left outside, its food to coyotes.)
- If you have fruit trees, pick up fruit from ground. Vegetable plants, same. (Also, another food to coyotes)
- Bag food wastes such as meat scraps or leftover food.
- Keep trash in containers with tight-fitting lids.
When walking your dog:
- Keep them on leash and close.
- Do not walk your dog(s) in the early morning (before 7 am) or late evening hours (after 7 pm).
- Walk with an air horn, whistle, or something loud.
If your do come upon a coyote while walking: Use that air horn, whistle, stand tall, yell and wave your arms.
If you are at home and see a coyote in your neighborhood: bang pots and pans, yell and wave your arms, use a water hose, throw tennis balls or rocks at a coyote.
Report any sightings or confrontations to Torrance Animal Control: (310) 618-3850; after hours: call Torrance Police Department: (310) 615641.
For more details, please go to: http://www.torranceca.gov/TPD/30353.htm
Thank you Councilmember Tim Goodrich for organizing this event. If you want to contact Tim directly: firstname.lastname@example.org