A good friend of mine, Anne, created this recipe to help her dogs with severe food allergies.* (Please note: If you suspect your pet of having food allergies, please consult with your veterinarian before trying anything new.)
- 2 packages of ground turkey, beef, pork. (Some doggies have allergies to Chicken)
- 2 frozen bags of soybeans Edamame shelled (Whole Foods brand 365 or Trader Joes have the best price)
- Turmeric (spice) *good anti-inflammatory, makes it turn yellow in color
- 2 bags of green lentils
- 1 bag of pearl barley
- Carrots (coin shaped bags or shredded) 1 bag
- Safflower Oil (Whole Foods brand 365 best value) *High in Vitamin E
- 1 can of Chic Peas
- Brown packages of ground meat in large soup pot. Use Safflower Oil. Sprinkle generous amount of Turmeric and Cinnamon on meat while it browns.
- Once cooked, add frozen soybeans. Stir around till they defrost, add more oil if needed.
- Then add lentils, barley and carrots, kale and chic peas. Add water to cover mixture.
- Cover and let boil. Stir so the bottom does not burn. (This is not pretty.)
You will have to play with water amount. Check lentils for softness and it is done.
Don’t overcook as it will get mushy. (If you do, your dog will love it anyway.)