- 6-oz (177-ml) can organic tuna, drained
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (56.7 g) organic cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (113.4 g) organic whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick aluminum foil.
- Combine the tuna with the water. If you want to give your cats a treat with a stronger tuna flavor, you can use some or all of the water that you drained from your can of tuna. Otherwise, filtered tap water should suffice.
- Add the organic cornmeal and organic flour to the moistened tuna. Use your hands to blend the cornmeal and flour with the tuna until a moldable dough forms. Knead this dough into a ball.
- Place the ball of dough onto a floured counter. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch (0.64 centimeter).
- Use a knife to cut the dough into strips. Each strip should be roughly 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) wide.
- Cut each strip into smaller pieces. Each piece should be as close to a perfect square as possible, with a width and height of 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) each.
- Arrange the pieces on your prepared baking sheet. The pieces should not be touching, but they do not need a lot of space to expand.
- Bake the treats for 20 minutes. Allow them to cool to room temperature before giving them to your cat, and store any extra treats in an airtight bag or container.